Junior Reporting Analyst (Contractor or Part Time)
Haynes & Company (H&Co) is a research and analysis firm that works with institutional investors, retailers, and management consulting firms. Be it publicly traded stocks and bonds; portfolio company due diligence; or management of an ongoing businesses, our approach to research is unique: it relies on complex, in-person observations which are paired with internal analysis to deliver leading-edge knowledge. We unlock insight to answer our clients’ hardest riddles, presenting solutions that are innovative, creative, and data-driven to hedge funds and private-equity firms, product manufacturers and specialty retailers.
Based in New York City, H&Co is a growing and dynamic market research firm with a need for smart people who go the extra mile in order to help us reach our goals. We are looking to add to our team with a new Reporting / Business Intelligence Analyst.
This is a remote / work from home position
We are seeking a part timer or contractor to join the team 1 to 3 days a week, $20 - $30 per hour depending on experience.
The REQUIRED DUTIES of the Reporting / Business Intelligence Analyst span the entire Haynes & Company business. Duties include the following:
- Play a part time role in our team, one to three days a week depending on availability
- Work with the Research Team to refresh weekly reports, look for issues and make improvements
- Work with the Research Team to define ongoing data and reporting requirements, documented in a consistent and clear manner.
- Present insight and information through reports and dashboards built in Tableau – consistently push reporting tools to achieve new and improved ways to look at data.
- Support the Research Team and wider company on ad-hoc data modeling and research initiatives.
- Assist with activities required to launch new data related projects such as data mapping, data modeling and establishing data dictionaries.
- Assist with the testing and validation of data, calculations and various IT systems.
Other personal qualities ABOUT YOU include:
- Independent worker unfazed by juggling multiple streams of work simultaneously with concurrent deadlines. Can manage multiple projects at once and adjust (and communicate outward) priorities based on workload, personal judgment, and direction from management or internal/external team members.
- Determined and resilient in order to accomplish what needs to be done, and loves the thrill of having his/her hands in multiple areas of the business and thrives on seeing how they interconnect for success.
- Confident and poised without ego or drama.
- Can think on your feet, learning quickly to anticipate what is next in order to get it done before being asked.
- Hardworking and diligent – some might even describe you as intense – while also knowing how to take a break, have a good time, and come back refreshed and ready to tackle the next challenge.
- Client service focused, as we exist only because we consistently exceed our clients’ expectations.
- Innately curious with a hunger to always know more, whether at a technical, operational, or personal skills level, and not afraid to ask questions of oneself and others.
- Highly logical and organized in everything you do, from your inbox to your thought processes.
- Ethically beyond reproach.
- Entrepreneurial in attitude and excited at the opportunity to join a new and growing business and be a part of its trajectory.
- Comfortable (even excited) to be working from home with the ability to demonstrate success in a non-traditional, unstructured work environment.
The QUALIFICATIONS we seek include:
- BA / BS degree in Statistics, Computer Science, Engineering, Applied Mathematics, or any discipline in the Social Sciences or other highly technical field that has required you to work extensively with data. Top universities and graduates with distinction greatly preferred; graduate work is preferred but not required.
- Experience with a data visualization tool i.e. Tableau (preferred) or alternatives.
- Experience and understanding of relational databases including SQL.
- High degree of comfort with spreadsheets and Excel, understanding of and exposure to relational databases.
- Excellent written and verbal communication.
- Adept with technology including learning new programs and applications independently and being able to troubleshoot one’s own technical roadblocks as well as explain them clearly and succinctly if unable to resolve.
- Familiarity with and understanding of basic financial concepts such as revenue, gross margin, operating margin.
- Demonstrated ability to work remotely on one’s own and with other team members distributed across the United States and abroad.
- Nice to have - Programming and/or scripting experience i.e. C#, Python.