Associate, Research - New York, USA
Analytical. Efficient. Innovative. Learner.
If the above describe you, Haynes & Company is looking for you to join our team as a:
Haynes & Company (H&Co) is a research and analysis firm that works with institutional investors, retailers, and management consulting firms. Be it publicly traded stocks and bonds; portfolio company due diligence; or management of an ongoing businesses, our approach to research is unique: it relies on complex, in-person observations which are paired with internal analysis to deliver leading-edge knowledge. We unlock insight to answer our clients’ hardest riddles, presenting solutions that are innovative, creative, and data-driven to hedge funds and private-equity firms, product manufacturers and specialty retailers.
Based in New York City, H&Co is a growing and dynamic market research firm with a need for smart people who go the extra mile in order to help us reach our goals. We are looking to add to our team with a new Associate, Research.
**This position is a virtual, work-from-home position.**
The REQUIRED DUTIES of the Associate, Research span the qualitative, the quantitative, and every shade of gray in between and include the following:
● Support the start-up of new client engagements from research design & analytics working alongside the Research team and taking on tasks as assigned
○ Write, finalize and test needed questionnaires and surveys utilizing cloud-based software
○ Design and share out to researchers all data collection items required for successful completion of assignment drawing
○ Write and deliver researcher project specifications choosing among conference calls and online Siminar.com modules
○ Beta test all data collection items prior to distribution through personal in-store visits, providing a critical link back to the researcher platform and helping us to design and to launch projects in a user-friendly, tested manner from the get-go
○ Build data quality control (QC) rules, implement process internally to complete QC, and, working with Business Intelligence team, roll out Tableau QC Dashboard
● Working directly with H&Co Research Team, ensure 100% data integrity by conducting weekly, robust quality control (QC) after data survey submission for a selection of projects
o Utilize existing tools and internal processes, including but not limited to Tableau dashboards and exception-based online Tableau reports to review and correct survey errors, including communication with vendors to clarify details and/or request revisions
o Work to a 100% daily service level so that all surveys are error-checked and communicated about within one business day of submission
● Act as analytical support on specific client engagements
o Working off existing client reporting, update and run reports inside Tableau
o Evolve reporting as needed to meet changing research design and/or client demands
– Determine both the internal and external reporting and analysis needs with an eye to revising and improving reporting both around what analytics are run and visualizations
– Using the build specification, work jointly with Business Intelligence as a team to lay out a clearly articulated project plan and execute against it to implement the needed changes
● Conduct direct field work through data collection visits and in-depth interviews
Promotional roles within the organization are available based on performance.
Our ideal candidate is someone who seamlessly blends the theoretical with the practical and delights in seeing his or her ideas come to life. Personal qualities ABOUT YOU include:
· Independent worker unfazed by juggling multiple streams of work simultaneously with concurrent deadlines.
· Can manage multiple tasks at once and adjust priorities (while communicating outward) based on workload, personal judgment, and direction from management or internal/external team members.
· Determined and resilient in order to accomplish what needs to be done, can excel having his/her hands in multiple areas of the business and thrives on seeing how they interconnect for success.
· Capable of and comfortable with pattern recognition within data. Pattern recognition, whether in service of groundbreaking insight or ensuring clean and accurate data, is core to what we do.
· Confident and poised without ego or drama.
· Can think on your feet, even anticipating what is next in order to get it done before being asked.
· Client service focused, as we exist only because we consistently exceed our clients’ expectations.
· Innately curious with a hunger to always know more, whether at a technical, operational, or personal skills level, and not afraid to ask questions of oneself and others.
· Interested in retail and its stores and how to connect the financial dots of it all through simple observation
· Highly logical and organized in everything you do, from your inbox to your thought processes.
· Ethically beyond reproach.
· Does not hesitate to say thank you for a job well done, sorry when wrong, or get help when needed.
· Adept at working from home with the ability to demonstrate success in a non-traditional, unstructured work environment.
The QUALIFICATIONS we seek include:
· BA / BS degree in Statistics, Computer Science, Engineering, Applied Mathematics, or any discipline in the Social Sciences or other highly technical field that has required you to work extensively with data, especially unstructured / qualitative data. Graduate work is preferred but not required.
· 1-2 years relevant work experience (including internships) with hands-on Retail and Consumer knowledge built through roles in the industry preferred but not required. This is our entry-level position in Research.
· Need to have demonstrated experience in and be able to discuss some type of work or project that has involved complex and interconnected data sets.
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills especially in connection with or using data. A writing sample is highly encouraged as part of your application.
· High degree of comfort with spreadsheets and Excel; understanding of or exposure to relational databases helpful but not required.
· Comfortable with technology including learning new programs and applications independently and being able to troubleshoot one’s own technical roadblocks.
· Understanding of core financial concepts such as revenue, COGS, gross margin, and operating margin.
· Ability to work remotely on one’s own and with other team members distributed across the United States and abroad.
COMPENSATION is competitive and includes a performance bonus as well as the benefit of working from home on a flexible schedule. An individualized benefits package covering health insurance premiums and retirement savings is offered.
TO APPLY please submit a resume, cover letter, and optional professional writing sample via email to with “Associate, Research” in the subject line.