Senior Tableau Developer
Organized. Detailed. Efficient. Anticipatory. Data nerd.
If the above describe you, Haynes & Company is looking for you to join our team as a:
Senior Tableau Developer.
Haynes & Company (H&Co) is a research and analysis firm that works with institutional investors, retailers, and private equity firms. Be it publicly traded stocks and bonds; portfolio company due diligence; or management of an ongoing businesses, our approach to research is unique: it relies on complex, in-person observations which are paired with internal analysis to deliver leading-edge knowledge. We unlock insight to answer our clients’ hardest riddles, presenting solutions that are innovative, creative, and data-driven.
Based in New York City but with a national, fully virtual workforce, H&Co is a growing and dynamic market research firm with a need for smart people who go the extra mile in order to help us reach our goals. We are looking to add to our team with a new Senior Tableau Developer.
The REQUIRED DUTIES of the Senior Tableau Developer span the entire Haynes & Company business. Duties include the following:
You will use Tableau Desktop to Build Reports for External Clients
- Consistently engage with our Research team to understand the client-facing needs.
- Participate in client meetings to solidify your understanding of the client-facing needs.
- Design, build and document reports to meet the client-facing needs.
- Use Tableau Desktop and SQL Server Management Studio to test and validate client reports.
- Present reports to ensure understanding of visualizations, functionality and calculations.
- Use Tableau Desktop and SQL Server Management Studio to perform detailed data analysis (i.e. determine the structure, content and quality of data through examination of source systems and sample data; and then use your findings to create/update Tableau Desktop data sources and to inform report design and development).
- Document existing reports. Create and implement a plan to enhance the structure, flow and usability of the reports.
- Apply a strong knowledge of statistics to figure out what’s significant, what’s changing and how to describe it.
You will use Tableau Desktop to Build and Publish Dashboards for our Research Team
We use Tableau Online dashboards as a tool to review the quality of data collected.
- Consistently engage with our Research team to understand why and how the quality control dashboards are used.
- Consistently engage with our Research team to understand the functionality and quality control checks to be implemented within the internal quality control dashboards.
- Design, build and document dashboards to meet the business requirements.
- Use Tableau Desktop, Tableau Online, SQL Server Management Studio and our survey platforms to test and validate internal quality control dashboards.
- Present dashboards to internal staff to ensure the dashboard meets requirements and functions as expected.
- Use Tableau Desktop, SQL Server Management Studio and our survey platforms to perform detailed data analysis (i.e. determine the structure, content and quality of data through examination of source systems and sample data; and then use your findings to create/update Tableau Online data sources and to inform dashboard development).
- Document existing dashboards. Create and implement a plan to enhance the structure, flow and usability of the dashboards.
The QUALIFICATIONS we seek include:
- Well-versed in Tableau Desktop best practices and Tableau Online best practices. These best practices are an inherent part of how you build reports and dashboards.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills to communicate what methodologies you’ve used and what insights you’ve uncovered.
- Proficiency in writing and analyzing T-SQL queries. You understand how to join, aggregate and pivot.
- Extensive knowledge in data analysis and how data should be effectively presented visually.
- You understand the importance of making iterative changes to reports to balance the need for new, better visualizations with familiar, standard visualizations.
- Adept with technology including learning new programs and applications independently and being able to troubleshoot one’s own technical roadblocks as well as explain them clearly and succinctly if unable to resolve.
- Comfortable with Slack, Google Workspace, Asana, SQL Server Management Studio.
- Demonstrated ability to work remotely on one’s own and with other team members distributed across the United States and abroad.
- Bachelor’s degree in Information Systems, Computer Science, Data Science or other highly technical field that has required you to work extensively with data. Top universities and graduates with distinction greatly preferred; graduate work is preferred but not required.
- 5+ years’ experience with Tableau Desktop and Tableau Online.
Our ideal candidate has a passion for telling stories with data, developing insight through visualizations and enabling self-service, data exploration and discovery. Other personal qualities ABOUT YOU include:
- Independent worker unfazed by juggling multiple streams of work simultaneously with concurrent deadlines.
- Critical thinker with sound judgement and decision-making abilities.
- Diligent communicator.
- Can manage multiple projects at once and adjust (and communicate outward) priorities based on workload, personal judgment, and direction from management or internal/external team members.
- Determined and resilient in order to accomplish what needs to be done and loves the thrill of having his/her hands in multiple areas of the business and thrives on seeing how they interconnect for success.
- Confident and poised without ego or drama.
- Can think on your feet, learning quickly to anticipate what is next in order to get it done before being asked.
- Hardworking and diligent – some might even describe you as intense – while also knowing how to take a break, have a good time, and come back refreshed and ready to tackle the next challenge.
- Client service focused, as we exist only because we consistently exceed our clients’ expectations.
- Innately curious with a hunger to always know more, whether at a technical, operational, or personal skills level, and not afraid to ask questions of oneself and others.
- Highly logical and organized in everything you do, from your inbox to your thought processes.
- Ethically beyond reproach.
- Entrepreneurial in attitude and excited at the opportunity to join a growing business
- Comfortable (even excited) to be working remotely with the ability to demonstrate success in a non-traditional, unstructured work environment.
- Does not hesitate to say thank you for a job well done, sorry when wrong, or get help when needed.
COMPENSATION is competitive and includes a performance bonus as well as the benefit of working from home on a flexible schedule. A benefits package covering health care and retirement needs is also available.
TO APPLY please submit a resume and cover letter via email to [email protected] with “Senior Tableau Developer” in the subject line.